NHS Type 2 Diabetes Path to Remission Programme – Referrer Information
The new one-year programme to support a healthier lifestyle, weight loss, and remission of Type 2 diabetes. Refer a patient and your practice will receive an £11.50 national incentive payment.
What is it?
- A free programme designed to help participants reduce their diabetes medications, lose weight, improve their health, and potentially put their type 2 diabetes into remission. Participants will be offered low calorie, total diet replacement products (typically soups, shakes and porridges) totalling 800‑900 kilocalories per day, to replace all normal meals for 12 weeks.
- Participants will receive support and monitoring for 12 months, including help to re‑introduce food after the initial 12‑week period. We understand that everyone has their own preferences, and we provide two options for accessing the service. This will be either;
- One‑to‑one in person support; or
- One‑to‑one digital support
- Coaching sessions are delivered by one of our qualified diabetes practitioners, along with online learning and resources including meal plans and recipes
What does the 12-month programme include?
- An initial one-to-one assessment
- 20 sessions with your Health & Wellbeing diabetes practitioner
- 39 online support modules
- Final one-to-one assessment
How does the NHS Type 2 Diabetes Path to Remission Programme work?
The programme involves 12 weeks of low-calorie diet (shakes and soups) followed by the reintroduction of food, focusing on movement and maintaining a new healthy eating lifestyle.
NHS Type 2 Diabetes Path to Remission Programme overview
Ways to Refer
1) Proactive Searches & Letter/Text Invitations
A clinical search will provide a list of possible eligible patients; however, the exclusion criteria of the programme and readiness/motivation must also be considered before making a referral
2) Opportunistic Referrals
i.e. during routine consultations or annual reviews
Information for Patients
Who can I contact for more information?
Service queries: Rebecca.Murray@xylahealth.com