Greater Manchester Patient Information
The new one-year programme to support a healthier lifestyle, weight loss, and remission of Type 2 diabetes.
What is it?
- A unique one-year programme combining specialist nutrition, psychology and physical activity
- Supports rapid weight loss and long-term behaviour change
- Support throughout from your Health & Wellbeing diabetes practitioner via regular contact, with online learning and supporting resources
- Supported by GPs, practice nurses, diabetes practitioners, dietitians, clinical psychologists and exercise specialists How does it work? 12 weeks of low-calorie diet (shakes and soups) followed by reintroducing food, focusing on movement and maintaining a new healthy eating lifestyle.
Three-staged programme focused on helping individuals achieve their health goals
Achieve diabetes remission (target glucose levels with no medication)
Online programme resources which are accessible 24/7
Free sessions, support and resources throughout the year
We will work together over 12 months, and the support you will receive during this time will include:
- An initial one-to-one assessment
- 20 sessions with your Health & Wellbeing diabetes practitioner
- 39 online support modules
- Final one-to-one assessment
How to join
This unique programme is being offered to residents in your area. Arrange to talk to your healthcare professional to sign up for the programme.
Download info sheet here
Am I eligible?
You must be:
- Registered with a GP practice in Greater Manchester
- Aged 18–65 years
- Have had a diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes within the last 6 years
- Have a BMI over 27 kg/m2 (or over 25 kg/m2 if you are of Black, Asian or minority ethnic origin). To check your BMI click here
- You also need to meet various other eligibility criteria and be willing to commit to the 12 month group programme to be referred to the service
You must not:
- Be a current insulin user
- Pregnant or planning a pregnancy in the next 12 months
- Have had bariatric surgery
Am I motivated for this programme?
Four questions to ask yourself:
- Can I complete 12 weeks on full total diet replacement? (soups and shakes)
- Do I feel ready to make long term sustainable changes to my lifestyle?
- Am I comfortable doing this programme in a group setting?
- Can I commit to doing this programme for 12 months with support from a Diabetes Practitioner, others on the programme and online learning?
Want to know more?
We are running patient information sessions via Microsoft Teams to provide you with an overview on what you can expect from the programme. Each session will last approximately 30-45 minutes and will give you all the information you need to know.Sign up here
You can find support in your area through our signposting packs.