Jerk chicken with rice and peas
Ingredients | Serves 4
- 4 medium chicken breast fillets
- A squeeze of lemon or lime juice
For the rub:
- 1½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp brown sugar, honey or maple syrup
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
For the rice & peas:
- 22g spring onion, sliced
- 275g coconut milk
- 400g can of kidney beans, drained
- 200g basmati rice
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 477 kcal
- 16g Fat
- 12g Saturated fat
- 39g Carbohydrate
- 12g Fibre
- 39g Protein
- 0.39g Salt
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the rub.
- Add the chicken fillets and massage the rub into the fillets until they are evenly coated.
- Allow the chicken to marinate in a covered bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Remove from the fridge and allow to stand for 15–30 minutes before cooking.
- Whilst the chicken marinates, add the coconut milk and 100ml of water into a deep saucepan, bring to the boil and add the basmati rice. Turn the heat down and cover with a lid. Allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- When the rice is almost ready (approx. 5 minutes left), stir the kidney beans though the rice and continue to cook until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Season the rice and peas with the spring onions and add black pepper to taste.
- Cook the fillets on a hot BBQ or in a pre-heated non-stick griddle pan, turning to allow all sides to brown evenly, about 4–5 minutes on each side.
- Ensure that the chicken is cooked through by cutting into the thickest part of each fillet and making sure it is no longer pink and slightly translucent.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Stir the kidney beans into the rice and cook while the chicken rests.
- Slice the chicken and serve it with your rice and peas and a squeeze of lemon or lime.